About 3D Printed Model Airplanes
If you have doubts about how these models are designed, printed and how the fly, this page is for you.
Before anything else, watch this video.
The most common question I get is:
-How do these planes fly?
The video at the right is from FliteTest's Youtube channel, they installed cameras on the plane and filmed it in flight with a drone, these images are not only spectacular but they also allow us to see the behavior of the plane in flight. Enjoy!
This P-38 in the video requires:
- 12 channels radio if you don´t use y-cables.
- 4-5 full days straight to print on one printer if everything goes well.
All our 3D Printed planes are here.
About 3DLabPrint models
These models are designed by Stepen in the Czech Republic, are easy and quick to build and have excellent flight characteristics. The gear is pretty standard, usually 9 or 12 grams servos and two power setups are usually suggested, one composed of high quality motor, ESC and battery and another made from inexpensive HobbyKing stuff but still very capable and with good performance.
When you build from a plan or when you assemble a wood kit, usually you add parts to a developing structure, you may have the fuselage done then you may add a servo tray then you may add a motor mount and so on, on these printed planes everything is built with full integration in mind, all the internal reinforcements, all the linkages, all the ducts for wiring, all the fixtures are one with the structure, in fact, many times you have ducts for the servo wires acting as an internal wing reinforcement.
This is a revolutionary way of thinking or better, a revolutionary way of fabricating model airplanes because many of us had already thought about how good this kind of approach could be but actually doing it has always been the problem.
Even with the advent of high quality/low cost 3D printers this has not became immediately possible, it took a very gifted person, Stepen, to create a design method and correspondent print setting to make these marvelous models possible.
I hope you are not afraid to try the latest in model airplane construction, I´m sure you will be delighted with these amazing model airplanes.
A FAQ page with answers to the most common questions can be found here.
All questions are welcome. Please contact us here.
3D Printed Planes Gallery
These are just a few examples of the amazing internal structures you will find on a 3D printed model airplane.
Order 3D Printed Cessna 152
Please select the options below.
Order the Cessna 152 kit or partsFAQ
The production lead time for new orders is currently 2 days or less.
Ordering a 3D Printed "Cessna 152"" Kit
This tool allows you to calculate the cost of printing and shipping the Cessna 152 model airplane kit and/or spare parts.
How to order:
- Set the options on the left and click the "Calculate" button
- Change the options as needed and click "Calculate" button again.
- When you're happy with the results click the Paypal Button and finish the checkout at Paypal´s website.
- I will review the order, print and ship.
- Printing the Cessna 152 takes approximately 72 hours on one single printer, thankfully we have 6 printers at the moment so your kit will be produced in just a few hours and will be ready to ship in less than 2 days.
Packaging & Postage:
- Larger parts individually bagged then everything in one larger bag so nothing gets lost or damaged.
- Single or double cardboard box with bubble wrap cushioning.
- Shipped by Registered Airmail with Tracking Code.
- The PDF Assembly manual has links to web pages where you can obtain the needed electronics and even some supplies.
- On multiple kits orders, each kit will be shipped on an individual box, it wouldn't be cheaper to ship combined.
Terms of Service.
About the 3D File source:
The Cessna 152 was designed by 3DLabPrint and will be printed by AeroFred as a service.
Model Printing and Order Processing:
Printing a model airplane requires many hours of printing, typically, for the models we sell, between 24 and 72 hours if the job is done one one single printer. Luckily we have many printers so your new plane will be ready to ship in 1-2 days or even less if it´s a small model.
Models from 3DLabPrint can´t be scaled because we don´t have access to the original 3D CAD files to do a proper scaling. When these models are printed all the needed fixtures for motor, battery pack, servos, links, wiring ducts are also printed so they would all be scaled making them impossible to use.
The models from 3DLabPrint are supplied as print files only, we don´t have access to original 3D CAD files so I can´t do modifications. However, PLA glues very well with CA and accelerator so you can do as in any other model airplane kit, you can add balsa or lite ply and you can make any modifications yourself.
You will receive:
- Complete Cessna 152 3D Printed KIT on PLA or individual parts for the same model, depending on your order.
- One piece of printed PLA, some bad print I may have around here, so you can do your experiments and tests instead of trying on the plane itself.
- Cardboard box with appropriate cushioning so the parts are protected during the shipment.
- Assembly manual printed copy from 3DLabPrint if requested at the ordering page.
The paper manual is free but not included by default because it adds weight that may make the postage costs climb considerably. I reserve the right to add the paper manual or not.
In any case the manual can be downloaded in PDF format in this same page and it will have links to web pages where some of the needed parts an be ordered.
You will NOT receive:
- 3d .stl or .gcode files, project files or any files at all apart from the pdf manual.
- CA Glue or CA Accelerator.
- Electronic components.
- Wheels, hinges, propellers, screws, piano wire, paint or decals.
Vinyl decals do not stick on 3d printed planes, the only way to add insignia, camouflage, letterings is to paint with acrylic spray paint and a stencil or a mask.
Assembly and preparation:
Modeling work it´s your job :)
You will have to follow the manual to assembly this kit and do all the work needed, this is a model airplane Kit, not a toy.
About our printers:
We use high quality original 3D Printers, no Chinese clone printers or cheap Ebay 3d printers.
About the different filament types:
PLA (Polylactic Acid):
Most common and easy to use bioplastic, have a read.
ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene):
Good for parts requiring higher temperature operation, have a read.
PETG (Polyethylene terephthalate):
Used when high mechanical strength is required, have a read.
We will use strong cardboard boxes and the appropriate cushioning to protect the printed parts.
We ship from Portugal, Europe and use the reliable Portuguese mail system CTT.
CTT has delivery agreements with different entities on each country so if you´re from the US you may have your order delivered by USPS, in the UK may be Royal Mail and so on.
We charge according to the ctt.pt postage table.
All 3D Printed models and parts are shipped registered. A signature will be required at the delivery address, not necessarily yours but someone at the address.
We will only accept returns of non assembled, undamaged complete models or spare parts.
Postage fees from the original order are non refundable and you will have to pay the postage back to us.
No re-stocking fee if everything arrives in good condition.
In doubt please ask us
for an opinion.
Orders can be paid with Paypal
or Credit Card
via Paypal and are shipped to the address on your Paypal account or to the address you set at checkout.